Food & Fun Recipes
Wheat Berry Sprouts
- wheat berries (wheat seeds, available from health food stores, if not from a local farmer)
- large jar or other clear container
- rubber band
- Place wheat berries in a colander and rinse thoroughly.
- Place rinsed wheat berries in the jar or other container and cover with water.
- Soak overnight.
- Rinse the wheat berries again, and cover the opening of the container with a piece of cheesecloth.
- Secure with a rubber band.
- Lay the jar on its side in a dark place.
- Rinse and drain the berries each morning until they sprout and grow to about 1 inch in length.
- When the sprouts have grown to about one inch in length, place the jar in a sunny window for one day.
- Enjoy your sprouts on a sandwich, in a salad or on their own.
- Print off the recipes for students, make it into a transparency to show on the screen for whole-group instruction, or use interactive white board.
- Students will circle each digraph in the recipe with a red crayon or pen (ex: ch, th, sh, ph, wh).
- Students will put a box around each of the blends, using a blue crayon or pen (ex: cr, cl, sk, st, sw, squ, pl, thr).