Food & Fun Recipes
- 1 cup fine cracked wheat (bulgur)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- ½ cup minced fresh mint leaves
- 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1 small cucumber, chopped fine
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 green onions with tops, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Combine the water with the bulgur and let the mixture soak while preparing the vegetables (about 20 minutes).
- After all is chopped, combine all ingredients with the water and bulgur mixture.
- Refrigerate at least four hours to allow the ingredients to chill and flavors to mix together.
- Print off the recipes for students, make it into a transparency to show on the screen for whole-group instruction, or use interactive white board.
- Students will circle each digraph in the recipe with a red crayon or pen (ex: ch, th, sh, ph, wh).
- Students will put a box around each of the blends, using a blue crayon or pen (ex: cr, cl, sk, st, sw, squ, pl, thr).