Tie Dye Bandanas
Each student needs:
- unbleached muslin
- commercial dye
- Purchase unbleached muslin at a fabric store. If possible, buy the end of a bolt, and bring it to class so students can see what a bolt of cloth looks like. Purchase commercial dye, and follow the instructions on the package.
- Tear the cloth into bandana-sized squares to tie-dye.
- The cloth may be knotted, rolled, twisted, folded, or bunched.
- Tie the cloth as tightly as possible so the dye will not soak inside.
- Dip the cloth into the dye, and stir gently. The longer you leave the cloth in the dye, the darker the color.
- Take the cloth out of the dye, and rinse it thoroughly in cold water.
- Untie the cloth, and rinse again.
- Squeeze out the excess water, and drain the cloth on newsprint that has been spread flat.
- Display screations, using clothes pins and clothes line stretched along the hallway or across the classroom.