Food & Fun Recipes
Zucchini Pizza Crust
Ingredients (Makes a 14-inch crust)
- Large raw zucchini, shredded (between 1.5-2 cups)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Tomato sauce,
- Desired toppings
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Grease cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Shred zucchini.
- Squeeze handfuls of zucchini to remove water.
- Add egg and cheese, and mix well.
- Spread the dough onto the pan, being extra careful to make sure it is spread evenly so the crust will cook evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is cooked.
- For better browning at the end, you may slide the crust under a broiler for a few minutes.
- Spread tomato sauce on the cooked crust. Add desired toppings and sprinkle with mozarella, keeping in mind that you already have cheese in the crust.
While waiting for the pizza to cook, read "A Pizza the Size of the Sun," by Jack Prelutsky.
- The modern precursor to what we call pizza occurred in pre-Renaissance Naples. Poor housewives had only flour, olive oil, lard, cheese and herbs with which to feed their families, so combining them in a tasty and delicious manner became the goal. All of Italy proclaimed the Neapolitan pies to be the best.
- The most famous experiment of all was by a pizza maker named Raffaele Esposito, who received a royal summons to prepare a special pizza for Queen Margherita. He decided to salute the colors of the Italian flag by adding white mozzarella to red tomato and green basil. It became so popular that it's still sold today.
- In 1945 soldiers returning from WWII in Europe brought with them a taste for certain foods. Pizza was at the top of their list.
- Americans eat around 350 slices of pizza each second, or 100 acres per day.
- Children ages 3-11 prefer pizza over all other foods for lunch and dinner, according to a recent Gallup Poll.
- America's favorite pizza topping is pepperoni. The least favorite is anchovies.
- We consume around 251,770,000 pounds of pepperonis every year.
- Americans prefer meat toppings to veggie toppings by a ratio of 62 to 100.
- Some popular pizza toppings in Japan are squid and Mayo Jaga (mayonaise, potato and bacon). In India they like pickled ginger, minced mutton and tofu. The people of Brazil prefer green peas. Russians serve pizza covered in mockba (a mix of sardines, tuna, mackeral, salmon and onions.