Food & Fun Recipes
- Pkg of whole grain, flour tortillas
- Shredded white cheese
- Kitchen scissors
- Baking sheet
- Oven mitts
- Powdered garlic (optional)
- Fold the tortilla in half, then in half again.
- Help students cut out shapes and designs from the folded edges of the tortilla with the kitchen scissors. Cut through all the layers, trying not to tear the tortilla.
- Open the tortilla and place it flat on the baking sheet. It should resemble a snowflake design.
- Help students carefully sprinkle the shredded white cheese on the snowflake tortilla. Try to keep the cheese away from the holes. If desired, students may sprinkle garlic powder on top of the cheese.
- Place the baking sheet and snowflakes under the broiler in a toaster oven just until the cheese bubbles. This only takes a minute or two, so watch carefully.
- Use oven mitts to remove the baking sheet from the oven. Set aside and let cool for a few minutes.
- Once they are cool, remove the tortilla snowflakes from the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on a white plate. Then sprinkle more cheese on top of the snowflake tortilla to make it look like the tortilla is lying in snow.