Food & Fun Recipes
Cornbread in a Bag
- 1 c cornmeal
- 2 T brown sugar
- ½ c whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 c milk
- ¼ c oil
- gallon size plastic bag
- 9- X 9-inch pan
- Combine the first six ingredients in the plastic bag.
- Close the bag
- Mix well by working bag with fingers until the ingredients are completely blended.
- Add the final three ingredients.
- Mix well by working the bag with fingers.
- Open the bag and pour the mixture into a 9- X 9-inch pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- While cornbread is baking, discuss the fact that cornmeal was something early settlers may have carried with them on their journey to the west.
- Discuss what kinds of landforms and climates settlers may have come across on their journey (mountain, plateau, desert, etc.)
- Use cornmeal to create a desert scene on construction paper.
- Students will smear a thin coat of glue, then sprinkle cornmeal on the glue.
- Allow to dry..
- Students will make rocks and cactus from construction paper or other medium (grass, leaves, pebbles, etc.)