Each student needs:
- 9-ounce clear plastic cup
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened powdered drink mix (e.g., Koolaid)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon soybean oil (vegetable oil)
- 1/8 teaspoon granular soy lecithin (found in health food stores)
- stir stick
- paper towel
- rubber stamp images, paint brush, sponge or other painting implement
- Using a stir stick, blend water with the packet of drink mix in the clear plastic cup.
- Add soybean oil and stir well.
- Add granular soy lecithin and continue stirring until the lumps are gone.
- Fold a paper towel in half and then in half again. This is the stamp pad.
- Carefully pour the contents of the cup into the center of the folded paper towel.
- Print images on sheets of paper to create stationary, cards, wrapping paper, etc.
Note: The ink will take a little extra time to dry and can stain fabric.
Students should note that soy oil does not mix well with water until lecithin is added. Soy lecithin is a byproduct of soap-making, used for mixing fats and oils with water. Lecithin is a common ingredient in fatty foods such as chocolate bar and salad dressing.