Food & Fun Crafts
Each student needs:
- large, clear balloons
- measuring cups
- towels or wipes
- radish seeds
- 1/2 cup potting soil (per student)
- 1/4 cup water (per student)
- Hold a balloon firmly by the neck. Use a funnel, and pour 1/2 cup of soil into the balloon. Don't turn the balloon over.
- Keep holding the balloon by the neck. Add about 1/4 cup of water through the funnel. Be sure the soil in the balloon is damp but not too wet.
- Use the funnel to drop the radish seeds into the balloon. Don't turn the balloon over.
- If the balloon is dirty, clean it with the towel or wipes.
- Now you're ready to blow up your balloon. Keep holding it gently by the neck. Now carefully blow up the balloon. You need to keep the ballon from tipping.
- Tie a know in the neck to keep the air in the balloon. Tie a ribbon around the knot.
- Hang the balloon from a hook or other place near a window. The neck should be the top. The balloon plant will begin growing soon.
- Check your balloon daily and chart the plant's growth for 10 days.
Could these plants grow in the balloons forever? Will they run out of anything? Where do plants get food? Where do plants get carbon dioxide? Do plants need water to live?