Each student needs:
- watermelon slices to taste
- watermelon seeds
- torn green construction paper
- torn white construction paper
- torn red construction paper
- paper plate
- Give each student a watermelon slice on a paper plate.
- Students will think about the sound, taste, smell, look and texture of their watermelon as they enjoy eating it.
- Students fold clean paper plates in half.
- Students glue torn green construction paper pieces around the outside curved edge of their plates to represent a watermelon rind.
- Students add just enough torn white construction paper pieces to make a line of white next to the green.
- Students glue small red construction paper pieces to fill in the remaining space.
- Students glue watermelon seeds on the red pieces.
- Students open their plates and write descriptions about the watermelon they have eaten, using the following guidelines: outside color, inside color, seeds (yes, no), shape, color, outside feel, inside feel, taste, shape.