Food & Fun Recipes
Ingredients (Makes about 3 dozen)
- 1 c nonfat dry milk
- ½ c honey
- ½ c peanut butter
- ½ c oats
- 1/c dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- ½ cup raisins
- Mix together nonfat dry milk, honey and peanut butter.
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix thoroughly
- Form into small balls about the size of a walnut.
Peanut Butter Facts
- Peanut butter is the leading use of peanuts in the USA. Nearly half of the United States peanut crop is used to make peanut butter.
- It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
- There are enough peanuts in one acre to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
- Peanut butter was first introduced to the USA in 1904 at the Universal Exposition in St. Louis by C.H. Sumner, who sold $705.11 of the "new treat" at his concession stand.
- The oldest operating manufacturer and seller of peanut butter has been selling peanut butter since 1908.
- Peanut butter is consumed in 89 percent of USA households.
- The world's largest peanut butter factory churns out 250,000 jars of the tasty treat every day.
- Women and children prefer creamy, while most men opt for chunky.
- People living on the East Coast prefer creamy peanut butter, while those on the West Coast prefer the crunchy style.
- Sixty percent of consumers prefer creamy peanut butter over crunchy.
- It takes two grindings to make peanut butter. The intense heat produced from one, long grinding would ruin the flavor of the peanut butter.
- November is Peanut Butter Lovers Month.
- Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth.
- The average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before he/she graduates high school.
- The world's largest peanut butter and jelly sandwich was created in Oklahoma City on September 7, 2002, by the Oklahoma Peanut Commission and the Oklahoma Wheat Commission. The PB & J sandwich weighed in at nearly 900 pounds, and contained 350 pounds of peanut butter and 144 pounds of jelly. The amount of bread used to create the sandwich was equivalent to more than 400 one-pound loaves of bread.
- The patent for peanut butter was awarded to Dr. John Harvey Kellogg in 1895.
- The amount of peanut butter eaten in a year could wrap the earth in a ribbon of 18-ounce peanut butter jars one and one-third times.
- Americans spend almost $800 million a year on peanut butter.
- Americans eat enough peanut butter in a year to make more than 10 billion peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That's enough peanut butter to coat the floor of the Grand Canyon.
- Sliced peanut butter was developed at Oklahoma State University.
- By law, any product labeled "peanut butter" in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.
- Read peanut butter facts aloud to students.
- Students will listen closely for CLUES. You will test their "detective skills" after you have read the facts.
- Ask the following questions:
- In what year was peanut butter first introduced to the U.S.A? (1904)
- How many peanuts does it take to make a 12-oz. jar? (540)
- Which month is Peanut Butter Lovers Month? (November)
- The world's largest peanut butter and jelly sandwich was created in what city? (Oklahoma City)
- Who prefers chunky peanut butter, women or men? (men)
- How much money do Americans spend in a year on peanut butter? (almost $800 million)