Food & Fun Recipes
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 16 ounces dried pinto beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 3 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 large bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 4-5 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Rinse and drain the soaked beans.
- Place in a large Dutch oven or pot and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Bean skins should burst when you blow on a few in a spoon.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for five minutes. Set beans aside.
- In a skillet in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, saute chopped onions and bell pepper until soft.
- Add garlic and chopped parsley.
- Add ground beef and brown lightly.
- Stir in chili powder, and cook for 10 minutes. Skim off excess fat.
- Add beef mixture to beans and stir in pepper, cumin and salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.