Food & Fun Recipes
Buttermilk (Baking Soda) Pancakes
Ingredients (Makes 12 pancakes)
- 1 cup milk
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sorghum molasses
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Up to 4 additional tablespoons milk or water, if needed
- Preheat a lightly oiled griddle or fry pan.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking soda.
- Beat egg in medium bowl.
- Blend in buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients, beating until smooth
- Blend in melted butter.
- Cook on lightly oiled griddle or fry pan.
- Turn pancakes when surface bubbles begin to break.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, sour cream, eggs, butter, molasses, and vanilla until well mixed. The mixture should not have any clumps of sour cream. Tip: Use a blender on medium-low speed to mix the wet ingredients.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, and salt over the large bowl holding the wet ingredient mixture.
- Slowly whisk the ingredients until the batter is smooth. The batter should not be runny but also not too thick. You can add more water or milk if needed.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium low heat and coat it with non-stick spray.
- Pour ¼ cup of the pancake batter in the pan. Spread the batter in a 5 inch circle.
- Watch for the pancake to start forming bubbles around the 1 minute mark. When this happens, gently flip the pancake over and cook for 60 seconds or until golden.
- Spray non-stick spray between cooking new pancakes. Serve immediately.