Food & Fun Recipes
Ingredients (7-8 biscuits)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons milk
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- biscuit cutter, small cup or cookie cutters in geometric shapes
- Measure and sift flour, salt, and baking powder into bowl.
- Measure and add shortening.
- Cut the shortening into the flour with a fork.
- Make a hole in the mixture, and pour in milk.
- Stir LIGHTLY until dough holds together. (Note: excessive handling will make the biscuits tough.)
- Cover work area with waxed paper.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured waxed paper.
- Pat dough out until ½ inch thick.
- Cut with biscuit cutter, cup or cookie cutters.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
The word biscuit is from the Latin phrase biscuctus which means baked (bis) twice (cuctus).