Made in Oklahoma Month
Many farmer's markets open mid-April in Oklahoma. Find the farmer's market nearest you, and introduce your students to Oklahoma-grown fruits and vegetables.
Oklahoma also has a food cooperative from which members can buy food grown in Oklahoma. Members buy shares in the cooperative and order food monthly via a web-based order delivery system.
- Compare the fruits and vegetables farmers can grow in Oklahoma with those grown in other places. Have a look at this map from Epicuriousshowing what fruits and vegetables are available at what time of year in all the 50 states.
- Students draw maps from the school to the nearest farmer's market.
- Discuss occupations related to farmer's markets.
- Support local growers and Oklahoma agriculture by promoting farmers' markets.
- Visit local growers and discuss how to promote their sales.
- Make a schedule of farmers' markets in your area. If none are nearby, find out how to get one in your neighborhood.
- Develop a promotional flyer inviting students, friends and families to visit there markets.
- Distribute flyers or contact the local newspaper to include information about the time, place, and produce available at local farmers' markets.